TERWICK MILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1221355
Date first listed:
18-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
TERWICK MILL, TERWICK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TERWICK MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1221355.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2019 at 03:08:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
TERWICK MILL, TERWICK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Chichester (District Authority)
Parish:
Trotton with Chithurst
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 83085 22159

Details

SU 82 SW TROTTON WITH CHITHURST TERWICK LANE 10/20 Terwick Mill 18.6.59 - II* Formerly in Terwick Parish. 2 mills in one, standing side by side. They ceased working in 1966, and the south mill has been converted into a house, but the machinery still exists. The north mill is a C16 timber-framed building, faced with tarred weather-boarding. Tiled roof. Dormer window facing west. The south mill, now a house, was built about 1750. Coursed stone rubble. Tiled roof. 2 gables to south containing lunette windows. 2 storeys. 2 windows. 2 iron wheels inside, side by side, the smaller belonging to the older mill. The earliest reference to the mill is in 1635, when Constance Glenham of Trotton died possessed of it.

Listing NGR: SU8308522159

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
413069
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/16055/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Easton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].