ABBOTSWOOD AND GATE PIERS TO STABLE YARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1221847
Date first listed:
25-Aug-1960
Date of most recent amendment:
16-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
ABBOTSWOOD AND GATE PIERS TO STABLE YARD, B 4077
Statutory Address:
ABBOTSWOOD, B 4077

Map

Ordnance survey map of ABBOTSWOOD AND GATE PIERS TO STABLE YARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1221847 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 12:54:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
ABBOTSWOOD AND GATE PIERS TO STABLE YARD, B 4077
Statutory Address:
ABBOTSWOOD, B 4077

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Swell
National Grid Reference:
SP 18121 26315

Details

SP 12 NE 3/125

SWELL, (UPPER SWELL) B 4077 (south side), Abbotswood and Gatepiers to Stable Yard

(Previously listed as Abbotswood)

25.8.60

II

Country house. 1862. Extended and altered by Lutyens for Mark Fenwick. Coursed rubble (the Lutyens work rough-faced), ashlar dressings (forming heavy contrast in Lutyens work). Cotswold stone roof with coped verge and parapets to east-west wing, hipped end to north wing; large rectangular ridged chimneys L-plan. Cotswold style. 2½ storeys mullioned and transom windows, the 1867 work with drips and rounded strings, the Lutyens work with flat flush mullions and transoms and this segmental labels. The 1867 house has string over ground floor and at 1st floor cill level. The main block lies east-west: 2 gables with ball finials, irregular fenestration - ground floor windows altered by Lutyens, metal casements. The north wing is at right angles, eaves type, cutting in at transom level of 1st floor windows of main block 5 bays. 2 Cotswold dormer gables with kneelers, arched doorway to right of centre with 2-light transom window over. Lutyens added large 2 bay block with tall diagonal chimneys to left. The principal Lutyens addition is to the west of the main block; 2½ storeys on basement; projecting gable to north with roofs sweeping virtually to ground; central rusticated Ionic doorcase with open segmental pediment containing initials and date; mounting block to right. The west return has 2 tall projecting gables separated by a lower corniced link with bracket pediment to central, altered window; cornice and parapet blocks to either side of gables. Below central window is a rusticated half-dome niche with keystone mask spouting water jets into circular pool. Bullseye window to left. Garden front to south: 4 bay with projecting end gables containing 2 storey angled bays, part of the 1867 house. Below 1st floor window on north side is a tablet commemorating a lucky escape by a 6 year old Sartoris who fell out of it. Ashlar gatepiers with ball finials, probably 1867, to stable yard at north end of north wing.



Listing NGR: SP1812126315

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
413763
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/11524/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].