FERNERY THE GROTTO

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1222502
Date first listed:
11-Oct-1973
Statutory Address:
FERNERY
Statutory Address:
THE GROTTO

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1222502.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 04:27:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
FERNERY
Statutory Address:
THE GROTTO

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Old Warden
National Grid Reference:
TL 14921 44703

Details

TL 1444 OLD WARDEN THE SWISS GARDEN

11/176 The Grotto and Fernery 11.10.73

- II*

Grotto and fernery. Early 1830's for 3rd Lord Ongley, entrance gables rebuilt by Shuttleworth family and dated 1876. The grotto is of mottled red brick and has clay tile roofs with ridge cresting. The fernery has base of same brick, supporting mainly glass and cast iron structure (ironwork produced 1830-33 by Barwell swaggers Eagle Foundry, Northants). Cruciform plan, grotto running roughly N-S, fernery W-E, grotto with gabled roof, the fernery a vaulted glasshouse, with an iron and glass dome at the intersection. The grotto is lined with tufa stone to give'a cave-like appearance, and has a lancet window to the all of each wing opposite a niche, possibly originally intended for statuary. The later entrance gables have round-headed archways and glazed doors. The 2 fernery wings are each supported internally by a pair of slender cast iron pillars, and each have a circular stained glass panel to the end wall. The central dome is topped by a lantern with a conical roof and ball finial.

Listing NGR: TL1492144703

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
414691
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 2 Bedfordshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16755/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].