CHILLINGTON HOUSE THE MAIDSTONE MUNICIPAL MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1222803
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1951
Statutory Address:
CHILLINGTON HOUSE, FAITH STREET
Statutory Address:
THE MAIDSTONE MUNICIPAL MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY, FAITH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHILLINGTON HOUSE
THE MAIDSTONE MUNICIPAL MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1222803 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 23:01:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHILLINGTON HOUSE, FAITH STREET
Statutory Address:
THE MAIDSTONE MUNICIPAL MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY, FAITH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Maidstone (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 75895 56005

Details

FAITH STREET 1. 5278 (North Side) Chillington House (The Maidstone Municipal Museum and Art Gallery) TQ 7555 NE 1/107 TQ 7556 SE 4/107 30.7.51. II*

2. The core is an early Elizabethan house built by Nicholas Barham who bought the manor in 1561. Heavily restored in 1875 it has later additions. The front facing Faith Street is E-shaped. Red brick. Each of the 3 projecting wings has 3 storeys, one window and a gable with kneelers, the apex of the gable being surmounted by stone animal figures and the kneelers by twisted finials ending in ball caps. These figures and finials were added in the C19. Between these projections is one window bay of 2 storeys. Stone cornice above each floor. Windows of 3 tiers of 4 lights with wooden mullions and transoms and diamond leaded panes. Giving entrance to the forecourt from Faith Street are C19 stone gate piers surmounted by figures of lions sedant. The back of the part of the building facing Brenchley Gardens has been added in the late C17. It has 2 storeys and an attic. 7 windows and 5 dormers with pediments. Red brick. Tiled roof and wooden modillion eaves cornice. Recessed panels between the ground and 1st floor windows. Casement windows with small square leaded panes. 1-sash windows with glazing bars intact. The north wing is timber-framed but restored and was formerly weatherboarded. On its east front it has 3 gables, the 2 southernmost ones of stone rubble on the ground£floor and red brick above, the northernmost one of studded timber framing on a base of stone rubble. On the west front this wing is of red brick on the ground floor and studded above, the 1st floor overhanging on a moulded bressumer. 2 storeys. Porch in the centre of the front with its 1st floor jettied and a gable over. Continuous gallery windows which are a modern reconstruction of the original. Modern extension at the north end of the wing. Also modern extensions to the east and west of the main building replacing older structures. The timber framed building to the east of the north wing was the south wing of Court Lodge East Farleigh, which was re-erected here in 1874. The interior contains a fine Elizabethan Great Hall with Cl6 panelling and its original screen which has a frieze pierced with a lattice of quatrefoils. Fine C16 fireplaces and cloisters dating from the reign of Henry VII or Henry VIII. The interior of the south wing of the Court Lodge East Farleigh has a crown post roof.





Listing NGR: TQ7591255993

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
173310
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/03931/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Henry Teed. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email EnrichingT[email protected].