ST5126 KINGSDON CP TOP STREET (West side off)
1/107 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. C13 origins with subsequent modifications, restored 1869 and 1906. Local grey lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; stone slate roofs between coped gables with cross finials. Four-cell cruciform plan, with added north-east vestry and organ chamber, south porch and west tower replacing earlier north tower. Chancel has plinth, simple eaves course, angled corner buttresses; east window 3-light reticulated tracery with plain stop arched
label, cill course; to south a 2-light and a 3-light traceried flat headed window with square stop labels, probably C15, with moulded pointed arched dorway without label between them, to the north the vestry and organ chamber, the one with castslide roof and pair of trefoil arched windows, the other with Welsh slate lean-to roof behind a moulded parapet, with single C16 style single-light windows to east and north. North transept, formerly a tower of C13, has double plinth, side buttresses, string course and a stepped coped gable; 3-light C15 traceried windows in deep hollow reveal pointed arched recesses, one each to east and north, under square stop labels; small plain pointed arched doorway in west side. South transept shows three building periods in east wall, the south gable probably C19: double plinth, otherwise plain: south window wide C15 style in shallow hollow pointed arched recess, probably C19. Nave shows several alterations with former windows blocked to south and north sides: two 2-light windows in north wall, probably C19, with pointed arch heads, no labels; on south side one C16 2-light traceried window with flat head, in hollowed recess without label; against south transept the south porch: small side pilasters, south gable with cross finial, probably a C15 outer moulded archway with square stop label, corbel capitals and high plinths to side shafts; inner arch is moulded 4-centred, with 2 small lancet niches, one over doorway and one in east wall; stone bench seats, rib and panel vault ceiling possibly C17. Tower of C15 replacing that over north transept: 4 stages, with double plinth, offset corner buttresses for 3 stages, with angled pilasters to corners stage 4; string courses, the top with gargoyles, battlemented parapet; hexagonal stair turret to full height with west doorway, set on the north-east corner: 4-centre arched west door, in deep hollowed recess, incised spandrils, square label linking with cill string to 4-light C15 traceried window in deep hollowed pointed arch recess, the label cutting into stage 2, which is plain all round; stage 3 has flat arched 2-light window with relieving arch over to south side; to stage 4 pairs 2-light pointed arched windows with traceried transomes in deep hollowed recesses, flanked by pilasters set diagonally, to east, west and south, with one matching window to north. Inside, much work is of the 1869 and 1906 restorations, especially the roofs: chancel arch, enlarged in C15, similar to outer porch arch and also the transept arches, that into the north transept being an uncomfortable fit: tall panelled C15 tower arch; fine rere-arches to north transept windows, where the walls are unplastered. Fittings include an early C17 panelled wood pulpit, probably 1627 on a C19 stone base, and nearby a chest of C19 as well as one of medieval date; font probably C13, a tulip bowl on circular shaft, lead lined; trefoil ogee arched piscina in north transept; most other fittings of C19. Memorials include small brass plate in north chancel wall to Johanes Dotin(Rector, also Rector of Exeter College Oxford and noted astrologer) died 1561; also a brass to Dorothy Hilbourne, died 1732, in north transept; on cill of north window in that transept a late C13 stone effigy, possibly Brian (III) de Gouvis, Lord of the manor: two early C19 marble monuments in chancel. First recorded mention of the church 1242. (VCH VOL III, 1974; Fryer, A C, SANHS Proceedings, Vol LXII 1916).
Listing NGR: ST5157026203