CANAL WAREHOUSE AT ASPLEY BASIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1223867
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Sep-1978
Statutory Address:
CANAL WAREHOUSE AT ASPLEY BASIN, WAKEFIELD ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1223867.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 06:24:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CANAL WAREHOUSE AT ASPLEY BASIN, WAKEFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 14935 16457

Details

The entry for the following shall be upgraded to II* (star):

WAKEFIELD ROAD 1. (south side) 5113

SE 1416SE 4/62 Canal Warehouse at Aspley Basin II 12.9.73 (formerly listed as Old Canal Warehouse)

------------------------------------

WAKEFIELD ROAD 1. (South Side) 5113 Canal warehouse at Aspley Basin (formerly listed as Old Canal Warehouse) SE 1416 SE 4/62 12.9.73. II 2. Between 1774 and 1780. Built for Sir John Ramsden's Canal, whose route was initially (1766) surveyed by James Brindley, and eventually constructed by Luke Holt. Hammer dressed stone. Pitched stone slate roof. 3 storeys and attic. Central gabled part breaks forward slightly and has one range of panelled loading doors, round-arched on attic floor. To left of this is one 3-light stone mullioned window with glazing bars and one 2-storey extension to the north. To right of it is one 3-light stone mullioned window on ground floor, one 9-light stone mullioned window on 1st floor, and two 3-light stone mullioned windows on 2nd floor. Venetian window with keystone on attic floor at west end. One range of panelled loading doors with balconies at canal end. Winch hoist over.

Listing NGR: SE1493516457

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
419740
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11722/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].