This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1223964



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Burford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Mar-1990

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 419756

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BURFORD AND UPTON HIGH STREET AND SIGNET (East Side) SP2512 (Enlargement) Methodist Church 7/71 (formerly listed as 12.9.55 Wesleyan Chapel)


Non-conformist chapel, formerly town mansion. c.1720-30 for a member of the Jordan family, converted c.1849. Ashlar, slate roof with coped verges. Local baroque style. 2 storeys and basement. Channelled rusticated above basement, fluted and reeded pilasters dividing the front into 5 bays, full entablature and balustraded parapet over. Glazing bar sashes (1849 or C20) below struck voussoirs. 1st floor windows have shaped aprons below, segment-headed basement windows with keys. Central Gibbsian surround doorpiece with pulvinated frieze and pertinent; C20 panelled doors; transom light; 5 steps up to door, bridging over basement door (bolection surround) which is approached by curved flights of steps from the forecourt. To rear 7 close-spaced segment headed windows with flat raised quoins; the south side has wide part-blocked segmental entry. The rear doorway within the present stair lobby has pulvinated frieze and keystone. The rear basement has 3 hollow chamfered mullion windows. The interior was gutted for the Chapel in 1849. This was redesigned in 1949 has Thomas Rayson of Oxford with inspiration from St Stephen's Wallbrook - 4 Corinthian columns support a ciborium with chandelier. Up to 1849 large vases capped the parapet and the railings to the front steps (bought for Cornbury Park by Lord Churchill).

Listing NGR: SP2518012242

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 25180 12242


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1223964 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 03:05:48.

End of official listing