LAYER MARNEY TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1223988
Date first listed:
23-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
LAYER MARNEY TOWER, WICK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LAYER MARNEY TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1223988.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 06:45:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
LAYER MARNEY TOWER, WICK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Colchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Layer Marney
National Grid Reference:
TL 92851 17480

Details

LAYER MARNEY WICK ROAD 1. 5214

Layer Marney Tower TL 91 NW 16/33 23.6.52 I 2. The gatehouse and remaining wings of a great early Cl6 house which was never completed. It was begun by the first Lord Marney who died in 1523 and his son in 1524. There has been some C20 restoration and a few small additions. The gatehouse is a remarkable and very fine example of early renaissance work and ornament. The King's Italian architect, Guialamo de Travizi, is said to have designed the building. It stands 80 ft high, built in red brick with terracotta dressings and diapering in flared headers. There are 3 storeys and on the south side Flanking seni-octagonal turrets of 8 storeys with subsidiary turrets of 7 storeys on the north side, square turrets. There is much fine original detail in the windows, parapets and bands of cusped panelling. The small west ring is of 2 storeys and attics, roofs tiled, and with windows and detail similar to that of the gatehouse but more restored, Small modern north wing. Original part of wing has a moulded band between the storeys and a number of original windows. This wing forms the north side of the outer courtyard. A barn, largely rebuilt, incorporating C13 material is on the east side The long gallery forms-the south side, 2 storeys in red brick with diapering in flared headers, and a number of original doorways and windows. The south side is divided into 8 bays by buttresses. The west end has a crow stepped gable. Internally the main block retains many original doorways with moulded or chamfered jambs and four centred arches. The eastern room of the west wing has a fireplace made of original moulded oak jambs and four centred. head. Extensive C16 panelling Re-set original terracotta fireplace in modern wing, has Corinthian pilasters, acanthus consoles and enriched entablature. Numerous other original fireplaces. Original plaster ceilings with moulded ribs, one forming a geometrical pattern and the other a pattern of intersecting lines.

Listing NGR: TL9285117480

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
419935
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 15 Essex,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/11021/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Wilfred N. Winder. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].