CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1224246
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1224246.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:13:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Wainfleet All Saints
National Grid Reference:
TF 49712 58689

Details

WAINFLEET ALL SAINTS STATION ROAD TF 45 NE (east side) 6/86 Church of All Saints 3.2.67

II

Parish church. 1821, by R. H. Sharpe and P. Atkinson, re-using some medieval fragments; 1887, C20. In Perpendicular style. Stock brick with limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roof with overhanging eaves, west parapet with flanking ashlar ornate pinnacles and cross finial at apex, east parapet with small foliate motifs at each side. Rectangular tile hung west bellcote with paired, louvred openings on each side, projecting eaves, a pyramidal lead roof with crockets and lozenge patterns and a single tier of hipped lucarnes. Nave with narthex and west bellcote, chancel with north organ chamber. Plinth, string courses and regularly placed buttress round entire church. West front with central doorway with pointed head, broad chamfered continuous surround, rectangular hood mould and double plank doors. Large pointed wndow above with 5 pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and angel label stops. Window flanked by single Perpendicular niches, possibly re-using medieval fabric. North side with 3 pointed windows each with 3 pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. Gabled organ chamber added in 1887 with corbelled eaves and steps leading up to the west doorway with pointed head, continuous chamfered surround, hood mould, head label stops and plank door. Pointed north window with 3 pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. C15 ashlar quatrefoil re-set below. Chancel of 1887 with pointed north window with 2 cusped pointed lights, hood mould and head label stops. East end with large pointed window with 4 cusped ogee headed lights, hood mould and head label stops. South side of chancel with 2 pointed windows each with 2 cusped, pointed lights, hood moulds and head label stops. Lean-to coal hole against the east side of nave. Tall octagonal chimney above. South side of nave identical to north side. Interior narthex divided from nave by C20 panelled screen with double glazed doors. Very tall pointed chancel arch with continuously moulded outer order and inner order with moulded head and semi-circular responds with moulded capitals, hood mould and head label stops. Pointed opening to north with double chamfered head containing organ pipes. Chancel with north opening with pointed double chamfered head containing organ pipes. Nave with flat panelled ceiling. Chancel with panelled wagon roof supported on stone corbels. Piscina in south chancel with flattened pointed head, inner cusping and hood mould. C19 altar rail, ornate reredos, pulpit, pews and choir stalls. C15 octagonal font with emblems of the Passion and traceried panels; and heads and stylised flowerhead motifs in octagonal pedestal. Grey and white marble monument to Robert Chomeley, died 1852. Source: A. Mee. Lincolnshire. London, 1949. p.402.

Listing NGR: TF4971258689

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
420256
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mee, A, Lincolnshire, (1949), 402

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/03315/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].