CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1224486
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1224486.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 01:03:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Bassetlaw (District Authority)
Parish:
West Markham
National Grid Reference:
SK 72143 72684

Details

SK 77 SW WEST MARKHAM CHURCH LANE (north side) Markham Clinton

5/99 Church of All Saints 1.2.67

G.V. I

Parish church. Late C12, C13 and C15, repaired 1872, restored 1930-45. Red brick, coursed rubble, ashlar, render, some timber framing. Pantile roofs. Coped east gable with single ridge cross. Brick dentil bands to chancel eaves and sprocket eaves to nave. West bell turret, nave, south porch and chancel. Half timbered west gable surmounted by weatherboarded turret with pyramidal cap and single louvred openings to the south, north and west sides. The buttressed north nave wall is set on a plinth in parts, the eastern most bay slightly projects and has a stone band running below the eaves. Single arched 2 light window with hood mould, to the left is a single arched window with 3 pointed arched lights, hood mould and label stops. The east wall of the nave has 4 tie plates. The buttressed north chancel wall is of brick and is set on a rubble plinth to the east. The east end of brick and coursed rubble is set on a plinth to the north and has a single window with 3 pointed arched lights under a segmental arch. The south chancel with ashlar quoins to the east has a single C15 window with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch with remains of a hood mould. To the left is a late C12 round chamfered arched doorway with worn chamfer stops, imposts, hood mould, worn label stops and wooden door. To the left is a late C12 double lancet with central decoratively carved motif and hood mould. To the left is a worn human head label stop. The nave with C12 herringbone masonry and single buttress plus tie plate has a larger, single similar window, motif and hood mould with head label stops. The gabled, half timbered C17 porch is set on a plinth on the east side. The inner late C12 chamfered round arched doorway has a hood mould with remnants of label stops. The wooden C15 door has hinges with some scroll work. To the left of the porch is a single arched C13 window with Y tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. Interior. Dividing nave and chancel is the remains of a C15 screen with 4 chamfered posts and later balustrade running between. In the south chancel is an ogee arched cupsed piscina and the remains of a C12 pedestal and a pedestal piscina. The reveal of the south east nave window is decorated with carved salamanders and vine. Restored C17 panelled pulpit; some of the panels being decorated. Round ashlar C12 font with moulded base and 7 arcaded panels each containing a single primitively carved figure. There are 6 Cl6 benches and a C17 alms box on a pedestal inscribed "Remember the Poor". On the west wall is a board detailing benefactions of the parish and dated 1819. In the north chancel is a sheet of lead decorated with small crests and inscribed "T. Hempsial, R. Bilyard, Church Wardens 1816." Also in the chancel is a C14 monument of a reclining figure with a dog at his feet and the remains of 2 angels at the head. There are several C18 floor slabs. Nave roof with bosses in the form of grotesque faces and stylised flowers.

Listing NGR: SK7214272686

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
420428
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Jan 2007
Reference: IOE01/14879/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].