CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1224950
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1224950 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 13:05:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Turnastone
National Grid Reference:
SO 35745 36477

Details

SO 33 NE TURNASTONE CP -

3/l17 Church of St Mary 26/1/67 -

GV II*

Parish church. Probably C12 origins with substantial C13 and C15 work. Finely coursed, partly snecked sandstone rubble, plain tiled roofs, timber- framing, weatherboards to bell turret. Three-bay nave and 2-bay chancel under continuous roof, south porch. Above off-set at west end of nave is short timber-framed weatherboarded bell turret with louvres to each face except the east, and pyramidical tiled roof. Two-bay nave with late C13 trefoiled single light window to east of south porch; chancel has similar but restored windows, either side of C15 priests' door which is under 4-centred head. East window probably altered C13 is square-head, chamfered and of 2 lights. Two more trefoiled 2-light windows to north wall of the chancel, the east one restored. Eastern window of north wall of have is another un-restored C13 trefoiled single light; north-west window has wide C13 pointed light on site of blocked north door. West window of nave has chamfered, square-headed single light. Timber-framed south porch, possibly C15 origins, heavily restored in early C20: middle truss has arch-braces to collar joining in ogee, front and rear trusses have braced posts, raking- struts above tie-beams decorated with ogees; walls above side benches reflect local plank and muntin tradition, 2 glazed trefoils to either side. C12 semi-circular headed south doorway has horizontally fluted capitals. Interior: slight break in bonding and alignment between nave and chancel, ceiled wagon roof, embattled wall-plates, tie-beam marking liturgical division between nave and chancel corresponds with break in wall-plates. To right of altar chamfered inverted pyramidical corbel acts as shelf, C13 trefoil-headed piscina, oak C17 (?) arm chair with fluted legs, stretchers and back. Incomplete late C17 altar rails with only 8 bobbin balusters surviving in 2 parts. Late C19 harmonium by Estery Organ Co, Brattleboro, Vermont, USA: 4 catafalque-shaped, enriched lamp bases and carrying handles. North wall of chancel has incised marble slab to Thomas (died 1522) and Anges Ap Harry: 2 supine praying figures, the male one in armour. Nave has mid-C20 limestone 4-centred arch forming portal to base of bell turret. Font: plain red marble circular basin, perhaps C13, on early C20 columnar stem and circular base. Pulpit is early C17, 5 panels of octagon each divided into 2 superimposed panels, acanthus decoration above, moulded top, base and feet. On the south wall, monument to John Roberts, died 1767, incised plaque with acorns and birds above surround. On the north wall, monument to Mary Traunter, died 1685, aged 18, daughter of Nicholas Philpot of Poston, Vowchurch (qv): Baroque aedicule supported by a cherub, barley-sugar Corinthian columns under broken voluted pediment, arms in break, female mourners on each slope of pediment (RCHM, Vol I).

Listing NGR: SO3574536477

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
421158
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13467/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Meenaghan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].