CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1225177

Date first listed: 23-Jul-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1225177 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 05:19:41.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland (District Authority)

Parish: Colton

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: SD 36883 87826

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLTON FINSTHWAITE SD 38 NE 7/40 Church of St Peter

II*

Church. 1873-9. Paley and Austin. Coursed stone rubble with sandstone dressings, slate roof with tile ridge. Nave and chancel with tower between, north organ loft under catslide roof with adjoining lean-to vestry. Coped gables. 4-bay nave has round-headed windows; north gabled porch, part enclosed, part open, timber-framed on low stone walls, round-headed entrance of one order with moulded arch; corresponding bay to south is blind. West end has 2 windows on weathered sill band, with continuous hoodmould; 2 lead dampcourses and top lancet. Tower has deep weathered buttresses to north and south, with weathered projections between, that to south has round-headed lancet, with smaller lancet above; vestry has 2 windows, round stair window above, and diamond clock face to top; high pyramidal roof has north and south raking louvred dormers, east and west hipped stone dormers with round-headed louvred bell openings with zig-zag mouldings to arch; top weather-fish. Chancel has weathered sill band, 2 windows to north and one to south, east end has 3 windows, the central one wider, under continuous hoodmould; flushwork cross below sill; 2 lead dampcourses and lancet above, and gable cross. Organ loft has segmental-headed entrance and one window, lean-to outbuilding to east. Interior: Single rafter roofs with braced collars and ashlaring. 2 arches to tower are stepped, the inner part corbelled, blind arches to north and south of tower space and rib vaulted ceiling, painted scrollwork and angels bearing the Beatitudes. Nave has stencilled frieze and window arches, part of scheme most of which is whitewashed; 3 pendant light fittings with wrought iron decoration, one more elaborate to tower space. Chancel has good simple stalls, organ case and altar rail. Reredos by Salviati has mosaic panels, 1883, painted angels over east windows. Good stained glass to chancel possibly by Powell, and to west end. Good wall tablets: Edward Taylor, died 1790, James King, 1827, Margaret Taylor, 1820, and George Braithwaite, 1814, the last 3 by Webster of Kendal.

Listing NGR: SD3688387826

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 421439

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing