This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1225409



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Blackpool

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 421776

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The following building shall be added:


44- /1/10005 No.194 Elmslie School


Former house, now part of school. 1896, with minor late C20 alterations. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings to front elevation, red brick elsewhere. Irregular 'L' plan. Front elevation: 2 storeys, 3 bays; an elaborate and asymmetrical front with central doorway enclosed within open flat roofed porch. Porch entrance with slender marble columns with foliated capitals supporting shallow arched heads to entrance and flanking lights. Enclosed doorway within decorative surround, with slender engaged columns to jambs, and tall overlight with stilted arched head. Gabled bay to left with advanced bay to ground floor, of 2 lights with a 4 part overlight. Moulded cornice links with that of porch as continuous moulding Above, a canted first floor bay with lead canopy. Ornate gable with slender corner turrets with pinnacles, and an elaborate carved apex finial. Right hand bay not gabled, but with matching arrangement of bays below a stepped parapet. Corbelled turrets to corners with circular crenellated caps. Rear range on left side has tall side wall chimney and projecting stair turret with stepped lancets to upper part. Right side with canted corner linking front and rear ranges, the latter with plain undivided sash frames. C20 joinery elsewhere. INTERIOR; largely unaltered, with much original decorative ceiling and wall plasterwork, and high quality joinery including panelled doors with moulded architraves and carved cresting, well-finished and ornate principal staircase with stained glass lights to lower partition, and elaborate chimney pieces with overmantles. HISTORY; the house, named 'The Elms' was built for William and Sarah Powell in 1896, and became a school in 1922. The other buildings on the school site are not of special interest.

Listing NGR: SD3219535282

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 32195 35282


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1225409 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2017 at 04:53:55.

End of official listing