Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1225785.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:50:31.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 23206 09136


HOLWELL SP20NW Church of St Mary 3/261


Parish church. The present church was rebuilt in 1895 by W.E. Mills of Banbury. Coursed rubble, concrete tile roof. The curvilinear style of c.1500, French in inspiration as well as English. 3-bay nave with octagonal stone bellcote to west and south porch; 2-bay chancel with south transept and matching organ Chamber/vestry to north. Moulded eaves cornice, impost and cill bands. Nave windows stilted with curvilinear tracery, also the east window and the south chapel window. The east and south gables have blind tracery ashlar panels, porch has traceried side lights. The west end has 2 stepped buttresses for the bellcote framing a transomed curvilinear window with an embattled cill above a thickening for the baptistery recess. Interior complete (bar the polychromy) and more attractive than the exterior. Tiled alleys, oak pews, moulded chancel and north and south arches, altar has riddell posts capped by angels, there is even a piscina. Arch-braced roof to nave, boarded ceiling to chancel and transepts, pulpit i corporates Flemish C17 carved panels. Glass in east window by H W Bryans. The small C13 church shown by Bucklet as a plain 2- cell church in 1825, was rebuilt in 1842 in the Italianate style with a delightful campanile, see drawing inside the church.

Listing NGR: SP2320609136


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09055/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Cotterill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].