SCHOMBERG HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1225814
Date first listed:
05-Feb-1970
Statutory Address:
SCHOMBERG HOUSE, 80-82, PALL MALL SW1

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCHOMBERG HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1225814.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2019 at 18:10:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
SCHOMBERG HOUSE, 80-82, PALL MALL SW1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29478 80187

Details

TQ 2980 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER PALL MALL SW1 81/57 (South side) 5.2.70 Nos 80 to 82 consec. (Schomberg House) GV II* Town mansion. 1698 for the Duke of Schomberg. Later alterations and additions. Brown brick with red brick dressings and stone quoining, slate roof. 4 storeys and basement. 9 bays wide with 3 bay pedimented centre slightly advanced and projecting single bay flanking wings, the eastern left half of elevation rebuilt restoring the original symmetry of the design in the 1960s. Central projecting caryatid porch of painted Coade stone (dated 1791) but no doorway behind it, the entrance at foot of west wing with Ionic columns and bracketed cornice. Long, narrow, renewed glazing bar sash windows flush framed with flat gauged red brick arches, keystones and red brick dressings. The centre bay has vertical "lacing". Coved eaves cornice together with pediment have carved modillion brackets. Coade stone tablet on 1st floor featuring an allegory of Painting. Plaque on west wing commemorating residence of Thomas Gainsborough, the painter. Rare survival of Cl7 town mansion. Survey of London; vol XXIX

Listing NGR: TQ2948480180

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
422689
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St James Westminster Part 1 South of Piccadilly: Volumes 29 and 30, , Vol. 29, (1960)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Nov 1999
Reference: IOE01/02023/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Wynne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].