CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1225846
Date first listed:
22-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1225846 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2019 at 15:40:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Collingham
National Grid Reference:
SE 39015 46096

Details

In the entry for the following:-

LS22 CHURCH LANE SE 34 NE (East side) 3/39 Church of St. Oswald

II The grade shall be amended to read II* (star)

------------------------------------

COLLINGHAM CHURCH LANE SE34NE LS22 (east side) 3/39 Church of St. Oswald

II

Parish Church. C15 with Anglo-Saxon remains, chancel c1840, restored 1840-41. Well- coursed rubble to pre-Conquest work, large dressed stone to tower, hammer-dressed stone to C19 work, stone slate roof with clay tiles on chancel. West tower, nave, north aisle, south porch, chancel and north chancel chapel. Perpendicular tower, Early English lancet style restoration. Tower: 2 stages, chamfered plinth, moulded band. 3-light west window with arched lights and panel tracery, above is limestone block with shield in relief; moulded band; 2-light belfry windows set in square double-chamfered surrounds have arched lights with sunken spandrels south face has clock-face above small chamfered light. Embattled parapet with projecting rainwater chutes with gargoyles; crocketed corner pinnacles. Nave: red-sandstone quoins mark extent of original nave now of 3 bays articulated by offset buttress. South wall Anglo-Saxon. Gabled porch in 1st bay, lancet windows, corbel table. Coped gables with kneelers; apex cross. North aisle: 2-light windows with cusped lights, 2 with square heads, one with arched head with hoodmould. Right-hand return of aisle (east face) has 2-light window with shafted mullion and quatrefoil above at junction with canted stair-turret which has shouldered doorway and 2 small lancets in west face. Chancel: 2 bays articulated by offset buttresses. Lancet windows. Angle buttresses to east end which has triple lancet window. 2-light window to chapel.

Interior: much altered though the C12 circular pillars to the aisle-arcade remain. The rest is over elaborate C19 Early English with richly-moulded pointed arches to arcade, chancel and tower arch. Two important pre-Conquest cross shafts, one known as the Oswini Cross and claimed to be C7 and as such the 'oldest authentic Christian monument existing in the North of England', but now thought to be slightly later. This is carved with representations of the Apostles. the other is C9 or C10 and has intelace carving incorporating dragons and ruinic inscription in base.

R. A, Carter, Yorkshire Churches, (1976) p20. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (1974) p165. E. Pontefract and M. Hartley, The Charm of Yorkshire Churches, (undated) p16. G. E. Kirk, History of the Parish Church of St. Oswald, Collingham, (1937).

Listing NGR: SE3901546096

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
422834
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Carter, R , A Visitors Guide to Yorkshire Churches, (1976), 20
Kirk, GE , History of the Parish Church of St Oswald Collingham, (1937)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 165
Pontefract, E, Hartley, M , The Charm of Yorkshire Churches16

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].