This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1226012



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kirkby Thore

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 423083

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


NY 62 NW 2/83

KIRKBY THORE Church of St Michael



Parish Church, C12 with later additions and alterations. Coursed, squared rubble on chamfered plinth with stepped buttresses to tower; cavetto moulding to chancel eaves. Graduated slate roof with outshuts to north; stone coping and kneelers to chancel. West tower, nave without aisles, and chancel. 3-stage tower built in C12 with upper works rebuilt in C16; embattled parapet has C17 gabled bellcote on east side. Main belfry openings are paired, with trefoil heads. South door has pointed head and continuous chamfered surround. C14 gabled porch has single C13 lancet to left and 2 restored, C14 two-light windows under hoodmoulds to right. Chancel has central C14 two-light window with pointed head and blocked openings to either side; carved panel with Wharton coat-of-arms is set into wall on left. 3-light east window is 1850 copy but remains of earlier 5-light window are visible. Blocked C14 priests door, to right of C19 vestry; nave aisle has some original C14 windows, the rest are C19 copies. Incised stucco walls internally. Blocked original west doorway below 2-light C14 window; C12 responds carry later tower-arch. 2-bay arcade to north aisle; pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders on quatrefoil pier with chalice capitals and filleted shafts. Small opening with pointed head is cut through wall between east-end of aisle and nave. Pointed chancel arch is C19. Nave and chancel have 4-bay hammer-beam roofs of uncertain date, partly hidden by later ceiling. A number of panels and brackets bearing coats of arms are set into aisle and chancel walls. On north side of chancel is small memorial brass, in pedimented frame, dated 1692 with Latin inscription to Sir John Dalston. C14 piscina has trefoiled head and C19 drain. Moulded octagonal font was set up in 1688 by Thomas Machell, the rector, whose coat of arms is carved on one side. The pulpit, which he also presented, is made up of re-used, elaborately carved, C17 panels (one dated 1631) with some later additions to top and bottom. The C19 communion rails incorporate Machell's late C17 balusters and inscription, which originally read: "ECCLAESIA DE KIRKBY THORE D.D. THO MACHELL RECTOR REG: MA: A SAC: ET COLLEGII REG: OXON: SOCIVS. AN: R: CAROLI II XXXV." The R.C.H.M. records a mid C15 bell with a 'black-letter' inscription: S (damaged) re Ni Ihc Tas Unus Devs Meserere Nobis. This bell is traditionally said to have been brought from Shap Abbey by the last abbot, who was also rector of Kirkby Thore.

Listing NGR: NY6380425945

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 63804 25945


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1226012 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2017 at 08:05:03.

End of official listing