This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1226375



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Swavesey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 423488

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 3668-3768 SWAVESEY STATION ROAD (North West Side)

14/121 Parish Church of 31.8.62 St. Andrew


Parish church; C11 and C12 wall fragments and quoins of nave and chancel of original Benedictine priory church; tower and North aisle C13, South aisle rebuilt and chantry chapel and South porch c.1300; chancel extended to full length of chapel and alterations to aisle windows early C14. Nave arcade, clerestory and roofs mid to late C15 with window tracery inserted into some original openings. Restorations C17, early C19, and 1865 by W.M. Fawcett, masonry said to have been used from priory ruins. Walls of Barnack limestone and limestone rubble with brick repairs, clunch interior details. Roofs of lead. South elevation. Aisles extend to west face of tower; tower of four stages with angle buttresses, embattled parapet with corner gargoyles and pair of two cinquefoil-light belfry windows with quatrefoil and lower late C13 Y-traceried blocked window. Clerestory with plain parapet and six, two-light cinquefoil windows in four-centred arches. Tall, Y-traceried aisle windows with replaced C14 foiled transomes; chantry chapel south windows with interlaced Y-tracery and one replaced in C15, low-side window C14. Continuous moulded string to aisle including buttresses. Fine South door of five continuous roll- and fillet-moulded orders terminating in moulded bases with scroll-moulded label, and mask and foliage stops. South porch with two-centred arch, mask stops to label with moulded caps and bases to inner moulded order. Rainwater heads dated 1806. Interior. Nave arcade of six bays with slender piers continuing as pilasters to clerestory. Chancel and tower arches early C14 of two chamfered orders with moulded caps and bases, similar two-bay chancel arcade. Fine C14 sedilia and piscena with foiled drain, foliate finials to ogee arches; small locker to east and two north doors partly blocked by raised C19 floor. South aisle clunch piscina with deeply moulded trefoiled head. String with roll-moulding broken by insertion of 'low-side' window, and in chantry by C15 sedilia which cuts into jamb of original sedilia or mural monument. Roofs, C15 with braced tie beams, moulded principals with bosses at intersections; head corbels in chantry chapel, carved gilded angels to chancel and C17 drop finials added to chancel roof, aisle roof with dated tie beam 1629. Font With octagonal bowl and stem with shields in foiled panels. C13 tomb stones in North aisle. Nineteen C15 benches, moulded ends with paterae and carved finials with copies in 1866/7 by Rattee and Kett. Two C15 chancel stalls with replaced seats. Monuments. Charlotte Francis 1833, classical composition black and white marble. In South chapel to Anne Kempe, Lady Cutt, first wife of Sir John Cutt of Childerley 13th March 1641. Marble chest with framed, rounded panel and two folding doors each held open by life size female figures carrying oval shields of arms; work of Nicholas Stone master-mason to Charles I. Poor box with three locks near South doorway. Medieval altar stone framed in altar table C19. Five-light restored East chapel window, memorial to Thomas Cockayne, Lord of Manor, 1852. C19 Reredos 1866 by G.E. Street, and memorial window to John Layer (1632) and William Cole (1742-1782) by Francis Skeat 1967. Cole and Layer. MSS CRO Hill A.G. Cambridgeshire Churches p.99 1880 Andrews H. RIBA Journal. VII pp.241-2, 1900 Palmer W.M. Cambs and Hunts Arch. Soc. Vol.1 V.C.H. Vol. pp.197,315 Pevsner. Buildings of England p.468 Ravensdale J.R. History on Your Doorstep BBC 1982 Scott P. Swavesey Church and Village 1982

Listing NGR: TL3627169382

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hill, A G , Architectural Notes of Churches of Cambridgeshire, (1880), 99
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 468
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982), 197 315
Scott, P, Swavesey Church and Village, (1982)
'Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire Archaelogical Society Transactions' in Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire Archaelogical Society Transactions, , Vol. 1, ()
'Royal Institute of British Architects Journal' in Royal Institute of British Architects Journal, , Vol. 7, (1900), 241-2

National Grid Reference: TL 36271 69382


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1226375 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 07:55:49.

End of official listing