LARCHFIELD MILLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1226517

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1991

Statutory Address: LARCHFIELD MILLS, FIRTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LARCHFIELD MILLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1226517 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 09:20:11.

Location

Statutory Address: LARCHFIELD MILLS, FIRTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 14826 16170

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following item shall be added:

FIRTH STREET 1. (North side) 5113 Larchfield Mills SE 1416 SE 919 - /4/10002 II GV

2. Spinning mill with attached weaving sheds. Built 1865-6 for George Brook, additions c1880 plus C20 alterations. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Mill building has double ridge hipped roofs with dentilated eaves. 5 storey, 4 windows wide and 16 windows in length. Ground and first floor windows have segment heads. All windows have rough stone cills and lintels. Some original windows survive on the floor on the south side, and on the first and second floors on the north side. The south front has a stair tower, with a taking-in door on each floor on the east front. The tower has been extended upwards by a single floor. Weaving sheds, to the south east, linked to the mill by a single storey addition and a 2 storey bridge to an elevator tower. 2 storey over a basement. 9 gables with coping, the roofs stone slate to the west and glazed to the east. North front has 35 windows with rock faced cills and lintels. Narrow east front has single central taking-in doors to each floor, the first floor one partly filled by a window. South, street front has 4 windows per gable all with flush ashlar lintels and raised ashlar cills. The second gable has a single large doorway with double panel doors with raised ashlar surround and moulded hood. The fifth and final gable has taking-in doors to each floor.

Listing NGR: SE1482616170

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 423836

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing