BISHOP WOOD'S ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1226891
Date first listed:
24-Apr-1951
Statutory Address:
BISHOP WOOD'S ALMSHOUSES, LOWER CLAPTON ROAD E5

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1226891.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Jul-2020 at 12:41:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
BISHOP WOOD'S ALMSHOUSES, LOWER CLAPTON ROAD E5

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hackney (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 34961 85970

Details

LOWER CLAPTON ROAD E5 1. 5013 (South East Side) --------------------- Bishop Wood's Almshouses TQ 3485 19/344 24.4.51. II GV

2. Late C17 U-shaped range of single-storey almshouses, much restored. Red brick with high pitched tiled roofs. Segmental arches to modern doors and casement windows. Tall chimneys at intervals are part of late C19 restoration as is the small chapel at north-east corner, red brick with stone dressings in late C14 style. North wing has flat roof. In end wall of south wing (which is a late C19 shaped gable) plaque with inscription commemorating founder, Thomas Wood, 1607-92, bishop of Lichfield and Coventry and restoration 1930 by H R Ross.

Nos 158 to 162 (even) form a group with the stable and wall to No 162, and Bishop Wood's Almshouses.

Listing NGR: TQ3496185970

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
424406
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/02990/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Fuller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].