This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1226893



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Hackney

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Apr-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 424410

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


735/13/351 LOWER CLAPTON ROAD E5 24-APR-1951 (Northwest side) Church of St James the Great


Church. Nave of 1840-1 by E.C. Hakewill, 1902 Chancel by W.D. Caroe, and 1978 conversion of west end. Stock brick with stone dressings, and red brick 1902 work. EXTERIOR: Aisleless nave with 5 thin lancets in splayed stone surrounds, now part of the separate western conversion and terminating in a taller bay to west end with attached 1978 stair and lift tower. Tall 2-bay transepts culminate in lower polygonal chapels. Tall octagonal turret to southeast angle with stone spire, Latin inscription course and gargoyles below projecting cornice, then tall stone arcade above brick with stone pointed arch detail. Red brick chancel added 1902 with tall corner buttresses and 3 lancets to east end. North transept links to covered porch over footpath; south transept has main porch in east corner. INTERIOR: Crossing has wooden roof with 4 bosses; transepts and nave have wooden tie beams with slender struts above tie beam. Chancel arch with slender clustered piers, quatrefoil details to spandrels, and short colonnettes with foliate capitals and corbelling to outside of aisles. North organ chamber with aisle behind arcade leading to vestry. Delicate wooden arcade to each chancel aisle and screen to sanctuary with painted wooden reredos. East window has Christ flanked by St. James and St. John; south aisle has St. Anna, St. Simeon, the Sower and the Light of the World. Wooden choir stalls with Art Nouveau flower detail. Stone font in north transept. Transepts behind 2-bay arcade with tall slender clustered piers; nave behind 1978 concrete block partition, where original roof and inserted floors.

A church of 1840-41 by E.C. Hakewill with 1902 Chancel by W.D. Caroe that has an impressive turret and spacious interior with fine detailing.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 34842 86070


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1226893 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 03:37:06.

End of official listing