CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1226959
Date first listed:
24-Apr-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Feb-1975
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, MARE STREET E8

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1226959 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 16:54:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, MARE STREET E8

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hackney (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 35077 85151

Details





TQ 3585 MARE STREET E8 (East side) -------------- 20/371 Church of St John, Hackney (Formerly listed as St-John- the-Baptist Parish Church)

24.4.51 II*

Parish Church of Hackney 1792-97 by James Spiller. Very large building of stock brick, Tower of Portland stone 1812 by Robert Streather who also added semi-circular stone Ionic porches at all 4 outer corners. Main building in shape of cross, lengthened north-south so that entrance is at north end and the space for worship cross-oriented, On all sides 3-bay arcaded fronts with heavy modillioned stone cornice and stone-coped parapet. Pediments at north and south ends (those on sides removed). Similar treatment to the 4 set-back corners. Tower and steeple with clock over north portico, semi-circular with 4 Ionic columns, and banded rusticated stone backing. Inside gallery on fluted Doric columns around 3 sides. Interior restored after fire of 1955. Organ from All Saints, Ennismore Gardens, Westminster. Many monuments from old church include brasses, 3-dimensional figures and tablets.



Listing NGR: TQ3507785151

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
424428
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].