Church of St Peter

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1227189
Date first listed:
19-Dec-1961
Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter, Church Road, Little Thurlow, Haverhill, CB9 7JQ

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Peter
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1227189.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:10:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter, Church Road, Little Thurlow, Haverhill, CB9 7JQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Little Thurlow
National Grid Reference:
TL 67967 51188

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/10/2018

TL6751 832/22/350 LITTLE THURLOW CHURCH ROAD Church of St Peter

(Formerly listed as Church of St Peter, LITTLE THURLOW)

19.12.61 II* An early C14 church with C15 square tower of random stone and flint, with angle buttresses and a castellated parapet with knapped flint and stone chequer work.

The clerestory windows on the south side are C17, circular. The nave is of flint, stuccoed, with a slate roof. There is a C12 square font with angle-shafts and panels carved with floral motifs. The three-sided altar rail is of the mid-late C17. The traceried dado of a C15 screen remains, with some original colouring. A Jacobean family pew has fret cut upper panels. On the north side of the chancel is the Soame's Chapel, Jacobean with semi-circular arches having arabesque carving on tile soffits and pendants to the roof. It contains the fine marble and alabaster tomb of Sir Stephen Soame (d1619) who built the chapel and was Lord Mayor of London in 1593. It bears the recumbent figures of Sir Stephen and his wife and the kneeling figures of their sons and daughters. There is early C17 stained glass in the oval window of the chapel. There is the brass of a Knight and Lady circa 1520.

Listing NGR: TL6796751188

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
424828
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16373/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].