Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1227480.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:06:04.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Gedling (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 61190 41323


GEDLING CHURCH STREET SK 64 SW Carlton (south side) 7/49 Church of St. Paul G.V. II Parish church. 1885 and 1891. Designed by W. A. Coombs for the 4th Earl of Carnarvon. Red brick with gabled, hipped and conical slate roofs. Romanesque Basilica style. Ashlar and yellow terra-cotta dressings. Chamfered plinth, pilasters, string courses, lintel band, moulded and cogged eaves, coped gables, rainwater heads dated 1884 and 1891. Windows are leaded double and triple round headed lancets with round shafts. Nave with clerestory,north and south aisles, north and south porches, apsidal baptistry, organ chamber, vestry, chancel, apsidal sanctuary. Nave has coped east gable with cross. Clerestory has on each side 6 double lancets. West end has moulded round window and ornamented gable with shouldered gabled bell turret with niche containing figure. flanked by single square buttresses, each with shafted dummy turret with pyramid roof. Left buttress has bell on bracket with copper hood. North and south aisles have each 6 lancets. Similar north and south porches have to west, a pair of doors in round headed openings. Each has 2 round windows in its side. Apsidal baptistry has 5 lancets. Flanked by single lancets under lean-to roofs. Square organ chamber has to north 5 bay blind arcade containing 2 lancets. East side has similar arcade with single lancet. Square choir vestry has in west return angle hipped porch with round window and door. To south, a lancet and to right, lean-to porch with door and round window. East side has 3 lancets. Chancel has, above, 2 round windows each side. Apsidal sanctuary has Slancets separated by half- round pilasters. Nave has cogged and dentillated sill band and moulded clerestory lintel band. Moulded queen post roof on timber and brick corbels. 6 bay arcades with round ashlar piers and polychrome round brick arches with hood moulds. West end has moulded round arch flanked by single smaller arches. Aisles have moulded window openings and lean-to roofs on corbels. North aisle has to east, round arched organ opening. South aisle has to east, panelled wood enclosure with triptych and broken pediment, forming chapel and vestry, 1896 and 1953. Polychrome chancel arch has shaft responds. Chancel has balustraded marble screen wall, 1912, with central half round steps. Lintel and sill bands and barrel vaulted king post roof. North side has archway containing organ. South side has similar arch containing 2 bay arcade. Domed sanctuary has to north, round headed aumbry and to south, round headed double sedilia. Above, 5 windows, 3 with stained glass, 1933 and 1947. Fittings include square font on clustered round stem. Carved wood altar and gradine. Panelled oak stalls and desks carved by Eric Gill, 1903. Scrolled brass lectern on bracketed marble steps and stand. C19 benches. Chamfered oak pulpit, C20. Memorials include 2 war memorial tablets, c.1920.

Listing NGR: SK6119041323

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00855/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Alistair Bloomer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].