CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1227519
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, BARNSLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1227519.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 18:52:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, BARNSLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
South Kirkby and Moorthorpe
National Grid Reference:
SE 45297 11071

Details

SOUTH KIRBY BARNSLEY ROAD SE41SE (south side) 6/75 Church of All Saints 25.3.1968 - I

Parish church. C13 and C15; restored. Dressed magnesian limestone, lead- clad roofs. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, chancel with north and south chapels. Externally, all Perpendicular. Four-stage tower has diagonal buttresses with crocketed finials on the offsets, weathered plinth, and dripbands on 4 levels; restored west doorway has set-in shafts and 2 orders of moulding, nail-head ornament on the head, hollow-moulded hoodmould with angel stops (worn) and ogee cresting; 4-centred arched west window (boarded at time of survey, 1987), small looplight to 3rd stage, tall transomed 3-light belfry windows with restored tracery and hoodmoulds with figured stops, gargoyles in the band above, and embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles at the corners and in the centre of each side; clock faces in north and south sides of 3rd stage. Buttressed 3-bay south aisle; 2-storey porch to 1st bay, with moulded plinth and diagonal buttresses, with moulded offsets, very prominent corner gargoyles and crocketed pinnacles, 2- centred arched doorway with deep moulded surround including a slender shaft, hoodmould with large figured stops (worn); above the doorway, a row of 5 carved shields (worn), then a restored niche with seated statue, cusped ogee canopy and crocketed finial, oversailing parapet with ridged coping; a small. 2-light window in each side wall; inner doorway with deeply moulded surround and hoodmould with large figured stops (worn). To the right, aisle has 2 large restored 4-centred arched 3-light windows with hollow-moulded reveals and hoodmoulds with block stops, buttresses finished with very prominent gargoyles and crocketed diagonal pinnacles, and a plain parapet. Two-bay south chapel, continuous with aisle, has slightly lower but similar windows with carved stops (worn), buttresses terminating at ½-height but carrying tall diagonal pinnacles pierced by carved gargoyles and finished with crocketed finials above the level of an embattled parapet; in east end, a 2- centred arched 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould with large carved stops (worn). North aisle similar to south aisle except that lst bay has only a small shallow gabled porch (dated 1913) which protects a round-headed inner doorway with shafts and hollow-moulded surround, buttresses lack pinnacles and parapet lacks gargoyles. Chancel has re-built east wall containing a large 2-centred arched 5-light window with Perpendicular tracery. North chapel has a round-headed east window of 3 cusped lights with Perpendicular tracery above, and in the north wall a square-headed 3-light window of similar design. Interior: C13 2-bay nave arcades of circular columns with simple moulded octagonal caps and matching responds (those at west end embraced by tower piers, and that on the south side keeled), and wide 2-centred double- chamfered arches with broach stops; pointed 2-centred chancel arch, and double-chamfered arches to chapels, both dying into the walls and that on the left depressed and lower; panelled cove on brattished beam above chancel arch; nave roof of moulded cambered beams supported by short shafted wallposts; coffered aisle roofs with roll-moulded beams and carved bosses, those in the north aisle with carved corbels representing musicians (etc), mounted in a brattished wallplate. Chancel and its north and south chapels forming a continuous space interrupted only by 2-bay arcades terminating in short walls at the east end, both arcades with octagonal columns and double-chamfered arches, but the north arcade lower; north chapel has a coffered roof of hollow-moulded beams with very large carved bosses (now gilded); former doorway between chancel altar and north chapel blocked with relocated monumental slab to Maria, dau. of Francis Armytage, (d.1665), with raised decoration including 4 shields of arms; on wall above this, several early C19 wall monuments to members of Allott family of Hague Hall; in north chapel, fine aediculed wall monuments to members of Wentworth family of North Elmsall: (i) Henry (d.1668), with carved crown including shield and helm; (ii) Thomas (d.1653), with Corinthian architrave and Latin inscription; (iii) Agnes (d.1668) in Ionic architrave with open pediment and Latin inscription; (iv) Sir John (d.1720), a marble tablet in pedimented architrave, signed by Rysbrack. (Reference: Pevsner).

Listing NGR: SE4529811068

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
425362
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04347/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Mavis Watkin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].