THE COUNTY FIRE OFFICE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1227630

Date first listed: 30-May-1972

Statutory Address: THE COUNTY FIRE OFFICE, 50, REGENT STREET W1

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE COUNTY FIRE OFFICE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1227630 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 00:34:38.

Location

Statutory Address: THE COUNTY FIRE OFFICE, 50, REGENT STREET W1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29510 80680

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2980 NW & NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER REGENT STREET Wl 70/90; 71/3 (East side) 30-5-72 No 50 (The County Fire Office) GV II Grand office block. Part of Sir Reginald Blomfield's 1910-1923 grandiose rebuilding of Nash's Regent Street Quadrant qv: By Ernest Newton, completed 1924. Stone faced, with slate roof. Classical details, design complementary and a variant on Blomfield's. Circus facade to former Swan & Edgar's store (Nos 9 to 18 Piccadilly). Tall podium carrying 3 storeys and an attic storey. 3 wide bays. Pulvinated and channelled podium with open semicircular arched arcade over pavement. 3 storeys above,ashlar faced with giant rusticated pilaster strips, the windows vertically linked through storeys and read as tall openings - segmented headed and hooded. Rich modillion cornice. The attic storey is elaborately swagged and festooned with oculi and has a stepped blocking course above its cornice rising in the centre to a rectangular block surmounted by a sculptural group of Britannia and lion. Behind rises a corniced drum with a copper dome and gilded finial. The drum is flanked by monumental stone stacks. The main facade to Piccadilly Circus closes the vista up Lower Regent Street. A one bay return to right forms the link with the plainer facade in Glasshouse Street.

Listing NGR: TQ2951080680

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 425541

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing