CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1227867
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, YARMOUTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1227867.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:00:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, YARMOUTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Great Yarmouth (District Authority)
Parish:
Ormesby St. Margaret with Scratby
National Grid Reference:
TG 49887 14532

Details

TG 41 SE ORMESBY ST. MARGARET YARMOUTH ROAD WITH SCRATBY (north side) 4/28 Church of St. Margaret 25.9.62

- II* Parish church. Bequests for building west tower 1492, 1501, bells 1538. Nave and chancel C14, the former remodelled C15. North aisle and vestry 1867 when whole church restored and refenestrated. Chancel roof replaced 1867, remainder of building re-roofed 1895. North aisle altered 1986. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. 3 stage tower standing upon flushwork plinth and supported by diagonal buttresses. 3-light west window, Perpendicular and C19. Quatrefoil ventilation panels to ringing chamber in square surrounds. String course below 2-light mouchette belfry windows. Double crenellated flushwork parapet. Diagonal corner buttresses to nave and stepped flanking buttress. 3 3-light Perpendicular windows. 2 storey C15 south porch, gabled with lead roof. Diagonal buttresses to first storey. Wave moulded outer arch below wall sundial and cusped parvis window. 2-light square-headed Perpendicular side windows to ground floor and slits above to parvis. Re-used inner Norman doorway. One order of shafts with scalloped bases and capitals. 4 orders of decoration in arch : inner of zig-zag with beakhead, billet, double chevron, and billet. One order of chevron extends into jambs. 2 south chancel stepped buttresses and 2 C19 Perpendicular 3-light windows. Arched priests' door between buttresses. Diagonal east buttresses. 5-light C19 transomed east window of Perpendicular design. Lean-to vesty against north chancel wall, one buttress and one C19 window as south. 4-light flowing east and west north aisle windows. 2 3-light flowing windows in eastern bays of aisle. Western 2 bays obscured by lean-to flint and slate structure of 1986 with a 4-centred doorway. Interior. 4 bay octagonal north arcade with double hollow chamfered arches of 1867. Tall bowtell and wave moulded tower arch with hollow chamfered stepped rebates to west. Bowtell and hollow chancel arch jambs support C19 double wave moulded arch. Nave and aisle roofs both arch braced with wall posts dropping to head and rosette corbels. In east end of aisle a reset founders' tomb, mid C14. Cusped ogee arch with foliage carvings in spandrels of cusps. Spandrels of arch have Geometric tracery motifs. Re-cut C15 octagonal font. Bowl panels have quatrefoils or shields. Chancel roof as nave. Wall monument to John and Abigail Ramsey, 1798 and 1811. Below is monument to Caroline Home 1794 and above is John Ramey (sic) 1794. Monuments amalgamated to appear as one composition. Black and white marble. Home monument has border of acanthus rising from squared urns. Above is open pediment. Below is apron with cherub heads. Ramey monument of black marble field and white oval inscription panel. Achievement at top. To east an Easter Sepulchre in form of founders' tomb. Mid C14. Moulded and cusped and sub-cusped ogee arch. In spandrels of cusps are carved angel heads. Central shield boss also with figure of angel. Square surround to arch with traceried spandrels. Beneath sepulchre is brass to Sir Robert Clere 1529. Effigy of Sir Robert dressed in armour and mail skirt. Inscription border. Ogeed and cupsed stepped sedilia and piscina in south chancel wall.

Listing NGR: TG4988714532

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
402065
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12644/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Parker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].