ORIGINAL NORTH WEST BUILDING AT HARBOROUGH RUBBER WORKS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1228030
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1991
Statutory Address:
ORIGINAL NORTH WEST BUILDING AT HARBOROUGH RUBBER WORKS, 124, ST MARYS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ORIGINAL NORTH WEST BUILDING AT HARBOROUGH RUBBER WORKS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228030 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 19:20:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
ORIGINAL NORTH WEST BUILDING AT HARBOROUGH RUBBER WORKS, 124, ST MARYS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Harborough (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 73927 87258

Details

The following building shall be added:-

MARKET HARBOROUGH ST MARY'S ROAD SP 7387 2/198 No 124 (Original North West Building at Harborough Rubber Works

II

Flour mills, now part of rubber factory. Circa 1860, for John Bland; rubber works since 1894. Polychromatic brickwork; red brick in Flemish bond with blue and white brick bands and cornice and white brick window arches. Slate roofs with stone-coped gable ends.

Rectangular on plan, the engine house probably at west end.

3 storeys and attic. 3-bay north front, each bay with 2 round- headed windows, the bay separated by flat pilaster buttresses with Lombardic frieze and moulded brick eaves cornice above, of polychromatic brick. The windows have cast-iron frames with glazing bars, white brick arches and blue and white brick bands at impost level across front and moulded brick dentils to cills between the pilaster buttresses. The band and cill courses continue to right into 2 bays of one and 2 storeys with similar windows. Bands in gable ends, the west with cast-iron windows with glazing bars, the east with loft door and hoist. Later buildings against rear (south) elevation and 1961 building attached to east end linking original mill with 1925 rubber works to east. Situated on north side of the River Wellands.

Interior: Wooden floor beams supported on thin iron columns.

Note: Originally a steam-driven flour mill built for John Bland. In 1894 became factory of Harborough Rubber Company who made bicycle pedal blocks and pedal blocks etc for automobiles. The name 'Dainite' was adodpted during the First World War when the factory continuously worked through night and day.

Listing NGR: SP7392787258

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
402532
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07400/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pamela Weston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].