LYCH GATE TO CHURCH OF ST DAVID AND CHURCHYARD WALL APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES LONG TO NORTH AND EAST OF CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1228081
Date first listed:
10-May-1988
Statutory Address:
LYCH GATE TO CHURCH OF ST DAVID AND CHURCHYARD WALL APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES LONG TO NORTH AND EAST OF CHURCH, COPPERAS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LYCH GATE TO CHURCH OF ST DAVID AND CHURCHYARD WALL APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES LONG TO NORTH AND EAST OF CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228081 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 09:38:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
LYCH GATE TO CHURCH OF ST DAVID AND CHURCHYARD WALL APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES LONG TO NORTH AND EAST OF CHURCH, COPPERAS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Haigh
National Grid Reference:
SD 60666 08986

Details

HAIGH COPPERAS LANE SD 60 NW (south side) 6/50 Lych gate to Church of St. David and churchyard wall approx. 200m long - to north and east of Church - II Lych gate. Dated 1909. Stone with stone slate roof. Recessed segmental-pointed arches to front and rear die into jambs; cornices have black-letter text with raised lettering. Returns have recesses with dog-tooth mouldings to cornices and cusped lights. Cornice with angle gargoyles and hipped roof with gablets, that to left with David's harp, that to right with date; cross to ridge. Interior has segmental- pointed vault with transverse ribs and 2 seats. Plaque commemorates erection. Stone wall extends to west and south of lych gate; stone inscribed with names of church wardens and date 1837. Included for group value.

Listing NGR: SD6066608986

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
402587
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/05831/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Patrick Norris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].