BARN AND STABLE TO EAST OF WINSTANLEY HALL AND 2 ATTACHED GATEWAYS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1228164
Date first listed:
23-Aug-1986
Statutory Address:
BARN AND STABLE TO EAST OF WINSTANLEY HALL AND 2 ATTACHED GATEWAYS, PEMBERTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN AND STABLE TO EAST OF WINSTANLEY HALL AND 2 ATTACHED GATEWAYS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228164 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:09:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARN AND STABLE TO EAST OF WINSTANLEY HALL AND 2 ATTACHED GATEWAYS, PEMBERTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SD5451303101

Details

SD 50 SW 1484/8/40 23.08.1986

BILLINGE-WITH WINSTANLEY PEMBERTON ROAD (West side)

Barn and stable to East of Winstanley Hall and 2 attached gateways

II*

Barn and adjoining stable blocks on 3 sides of courtyard. Barn, C17; stable adjoining and that to south, 1830's; stable to north probably later. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings, north block of rock-faced stone. West block has key inscribed: "MB/1834". 2 storeys, 5 bays, the central bay is taller, projects with bowed end, end bays bowed inwards. Top cornice and parapet. 2nd and 4th bays have round-headed windows of 2 round-headed lights and decorative glazing flanking round-headed entrances with simple fanlights. Other bays have large round-headed entrances. 1st floor has pitching eyes with glazing. Barn adjoins to rear of 7 bays with collar and strut trusses and purlins and cross wall; east entrance is round- headed with flanking weathered buttresses. Southern bay has loft floor on ovolo-moulded beams with run-out stops and windows with drip stones. 2-storey, 2-bay cottage adjoining north end. Screen wall connects this- block with southern block; round projection has 2-light window with decorative glazing and cornice and parapet with dog; projecting porch with mask over entrance, originally stables behind. South block of 2 storeys and 5 bays, the central bays breaking forward and is taller. Top cornice and parapet. 2nd and 4th bays have 4-light windows, the lights with pointed heads and label moulds; small-paned glazing with intersected heads; central elliptical-headed entrance with 4-light window over. Large elliptical headed entrance with paired doors to 1st bay and 2 to end bays. Entrance, now window, to 1st bay, with architrave with small-paned glazing to overlight. Square pitching holes. Central bay has clock face and pigeon loft entrances to returns. Interior has iron balusters to stone steps to central bay. Door with relief of horse to central panel. North block of 7 bays with canted ends, the central bay is taller and projects with canted ends. Windows and entrances have canted heads. Windows of 3 and 2 lights, most sashed with glazing bars. Octagonal pitching holes, 2 are square. Top octagonal wheel window to central bay. 2 hexagonal cupolas with Tuscan columns. To right cast iron gates with open work octagonal piers and cupolas, richly decorated, dated 1859; similar gates 2 hexagonal cupolas with Tuscan columns. Iron gates to right connects this block with that to west; 2 open work octagonal piers with caps and richly decorated gates dated 1859. Iron gates to left similar; square piers with remains of lamp standards, central paired gates missing, single gates dated 1875.

Listing NGR: SD5451303101

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
402577
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/01164/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Finch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].