71, NEW STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1228298
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1978
Statutory Address:
71, NEW STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 71, NEW STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228298 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 05:25:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
71, NEW STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 14440 16469

Details

NEW STREET 1. 5113 (East Side) No 71 SE 1416 SW 3/939 II 2. 1897-8. Architect Alfred Waterhouse. Red brick and moulded terracotta. Pink marble plinth. Pitched slate roof. 3 storeys and attic. Moulded stringcourse above ground floor. Moulded eaves cornice. Large gabled bays break forward slightly on south side, and (diagonally placed) on corner: small gabled bay on west side, over doorway. Ground floor modern, apart from east bay of south front which has one arched window with moulded surround, and north bay of west front which contains doorway. This is of pink marble up to impost level, has paired columns taking moulded pointed arch with gable over. Door has traceried fanlight and moulded transom with "Prudential Assurance" in good contemporary lettering. All windows are casements with mullions and transoms (windows in gables have mullions only), in moulded oblong frames (windows in 2 large gables have moulded round-arched frames). Some windows are vertically linked with panelled zones in between. West front has statue in canopied niche, once taken on a buttress. South front has "Prudential Assurance Buildings" in good contemporary lettering.

Listing NGR: SE1444016469

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
402871
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02244/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stanley Sykes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].