CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1228308
Date first listed:
02-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228308.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 12:18:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Sibbertoft
National Grid Reference:
SP 68146 82768

Details

SIBBERTOFT CHURCH STREET SP68SE (West side) 4/86 Church of St. Helen 02/11/54

GV II*

Church. C13 and C14. South aisle and porch added and church restored c.1862-63 by Browning. Squared coursed lias and cobble with slate roof laid to diminishing courses. Aisled nave and chancel and west tower. Chancel: South elevation of 2-window range of 2-light windows with south door between. 3-light east window has Intersecting tracery. Gabled roof with ashlar parapets and finial. South aisle of 3-window range of 2-light windows with Plate tracery. Similar 3-light east window. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets and kneelers. Porch to far left has C14 four-centred inner arch and C19 double-chamfered outer arch. Gabled roof with ashlar parapets and kneelers and finial. North aisle and chapel of 2-window range of 2- and 3-light Perpendicular windows under 4-centred arches. North door between windows has 4-centred arch with decorated spandrels. 3-light Perpendicular east window. Gabled and lean-to roofs with ashlar parapets. One bay north elevation to west end of nave has late C13 two-light window and evidence of blocked window at junction of north aisle. Shallow pitched nave roof has moulded ashlar parapet. West tower, probably C14, of 2 stages with clasping buttresses at western corners. West door under 4-centred arch has 2-light window above. 2-light bell chamber openings to each face of second stage. Plain ashlar parapet above. Interior: C14 double-chamfered chancel arch with octagonal responds. Nave: South arcade of 4 bays of C19 double-chamfered arches with circular piers and foliated capitals. The western bay of the arcade is smaller with a square pier and forms part of integral south porch. North nave arcade of 2 bays of C14 double-chamfered arches with octagonal responds separated by a section of blank wall. Two C19 openings from the nave into the north chapel, now a vestry. C14 double-chamfered tower arch. C19 roof structures. C19 stained glass to all chancel windows, north-aisle north-east window and tower west window. Monuments; West wall of north aisle to Ambrose Saunders died 1765, marble tablet with flanking pilasters and open pediment over. C19 decorative tiled floor, C19 pulpit supported on 7 marble pillars has staircase to rear with tiled walls. Fragment of rood screen carving now over south chancel door is decorated with twisted branches and crocketing. Font C19 with marble pillars. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.403).

Listing NGR: SP6814682768

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
402725
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 403

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05419/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian R. Screaton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].