ACKHURST HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1228341
Date first listed:
30-Mar-1966
Statutory Address:
ACKHURST HALL, ACKHURST LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ACKHURST HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228341 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2019 at 16:00:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
ACKHURST HALL, ACKHURST LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 54542 06866

Details

ORRELL ACKHURST LANE SD 50 NW (east side) 4/94 Ackhurst Hall 30.3.66 G.V. II* Farmhouse. Fireplace dated 1618; datestone reads 1686. Stone with stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 4 bays, 2nd and 4th bays project under gables. Hollow-chamfered mullioned windows with transoms and continuous drip mould to ground floor; 1st floor windows to projecting bays have label moulds. Ground floor has 3:3:4-light windows, and timber canted bay window to 4th bay. 1st floor has 3:3:4:4-light windows; 4th bay has small blocked 2-light attic window. Entrance in porch to 2nd bay has round-arched opening and studded door. Cross-axial stack. Right return has projecting lateral stack; mullioned and cross-mullioned windows. Rear has gabled bay with mullioned windows; 3-bay C19 extension with casements and lateral stack. Interior has C19 alterations; 4th bay has timber-framed partition walls with wattle and daub infill, 2 fireplaces with ovolo moulded openings and inset Tudor heads, that to ground floor inscribed AL 1618 and cross (Fr. Alexander Leigh) and VW. 1st floor has spiral timber staircase leading to attic with collar trusses, one truss with turned king post and ovolo-moulded principal rafters; attic used for celebration of Mass. Some 2-panel bolection moulded doors with hinges.

Listing NGR: SD5454206866

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
402946
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].