CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1228655
Date first listed:
02-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228655.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:37:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Welford
National Grid Reference:
SP 64123 80336

Details

WELFORD CHURCH LANE SP68SW (North side) 3/l19 Church of St. Mary 02/11/54

GV II*

Church. C13 to C15, and restored and north aisle rebuilt by E.F. Law 1872. Regular coursed and squared coursed lias, limestone and cobble with lead-slate and stone-slate roof. Aisled nave and chancel with west tower. Chancel: South elevation of one-window range with 3-light window under 4-centred arch, north elevation blank. 3-light east window with C19 Reticulated tracery. Gabled roof with ashlar parapets and finial. South chantry chapel, late C14, of 2-window range of 3-light windows with 4-centred arches; similar east window. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets, gargoyles at corners and bellcote at west apex. South aisle of 4-window range of 2-light windows, that to far left is C14, the others are C19. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. South porch C19, outer arch decorated with fleurons. Clasping buttresses and ashlar gable parapet with finial. North chapel C19 of 3-window range of 2-light windows with buttresses between; similar 3-light east window. North aisle of 3-window range of 2-light square-headed windows, probably C14 reset in C19. North door between window range to right. Lean-to aisle and chapel, with ashlar copings. Nave clerestory south elevation of 4-window range of 2-light windows under 4-centred arches. North elevation of 5-window range of 2-light windows with square heads. Shallow pitched roof with ashlar gable parapets. West tower Perpendicular of 4 stages with shallow clasping buttresses. West door has 3 windows above. Tall 4-light bell-chamber openings with transoms to each face of fourth stage. Castellated ashlar parapet with gargoyles at corners. Interior: Perpendicular chancel arch. 2-bay south chapel arcade and one-bay north chapel arcade of C13 double-chamfered arches with large carved corbelled responds. 5-bay nave arcade, that to the south is C13 with double-chamfered arches; each pier is different with crocketted capitals, from left to right: circular, octagonal, cluster and circular. The north arcade is C19 with different piers each having foliated capitals. Piscina with ogee head to right of altar with sedilia adjacent. Piscina in south aisle. C19 roof structures. Monuments: South chapel, monument to Francis Saunders c.1585, marble tablet with incised brass tablet and veined marble surround with shallow arched recesses, coats of arms and large armorial device over, flanked by recumbent female figures. North aisle, chest tomb C13, decorated with shields and quatrefdils with plain slab over, set in shallow recess with segmental arch over, (probably all reset when the aisle was rebuilt in C19). On chancel north wall a late C18 marble tablet to Payne family. Various C19 marble tablets. Fragments of bench end with poppy head formed into reading desk is probably C16. C17 Jacobean screen to north and south aisle chapels and west tower arch. C19 stained glass to all windows in chancel, aisles and tower. Font C14. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.450).

Listing NGR: SP6412380336

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
403313
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 450

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15482/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Anne French. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].