CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1228671
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, THORPE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228671.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:59:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, THORPE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Wardington
National Grid Reference:
SP 49112 46334

Details

WARDINGTON THORPE ROAD SP4846 (West side) 15/182 Church of St. Mary Magdalene 08/12/55

GV I

Church. C12 origins in chancel which is otherwise C14. C13 nave arcades. Late C13 north and south aisles and south doorway and sanctus bellcote. C14 vestry. C15 west tower and clerestory. Restorations in 1887, 1889, (by Ewan Christian, architect) and 1914-2. (Franklins of Deddington builders and W.T. Loveday architect). Squared, coursed ironstone. Lead roofs. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower, south chapel, north vestry. 7-window range. Chancel. 2-light Perpendicular windows on north. 4-light window with intersecting tracery on east has renewed stone mullions. 2-light Early English windows on south with pointed arched hood moulds and head stops. South aisle windows to right of porch include a stepped triple lancet, 3-light Perpendicular and Decorated windows and a trefoiled lancet. Priest's doorway has cambered arched head, hood mould and plank door. To left of porch a renewed 3-light lancet window. Gabled stone porch. South doorway has pointed arched head and plank door. North aisle has a pointed arched doorway with plank door. Two 2-light lancet windows and a Decorated window with flowing and reticulated tracery. North and south clerestoreys have three 2-light Perpendicular windows with hood moulds and label stops. C15 vestry on north. Single stack. West tower. 3 stages with a crenellated parapet and diagonal buttresses. West entrance has a pointed arched doorway with plank door. 3-light Perpendicular window to first stage. 3 blocked lancets above and 2-light louvred Perpendicular window to bell-stage. Stone plinth. Interior. Nave and chancel have restored arched tie beam roofs. North and south aisles have renewed roofs. Chancel. Decorated piscina. Pointed arched head to C14 vestry doorway has plank door and strap hinges. Chancel arch is decorated with responds with wave moulding. Impost of C12 chancel arch reset behind pulpit. 5-bay north and south nave arcades. Responds of the east arch of the north arcade C12 with large grooved imposts. C13 double chamfered arches and round piers with square bases. The 2 west piers on the south of quatrefoil section are probably C14. South chapel. Screened from the aisle and open to the chancel through a wide C14 arch with half-octagonal responds. A Decorated and a Perpendicular piscina. Screen in the south aisle partly C14, the base and cresting renewed. Screen between chancel and south chapel incorporates C14 tracery. Monuments. In the south aisle 2 arched C14 tomb recesses, and a C14 slab with a foliated cross. Floor brass to Henry Freebody d.1444. South chapel monument to George Denton d.1757 and 4 floor slabs to members of the Chamberlaine family and memorials to the Wardle, Loveday and Wallace families. The chancel has a marble wall tablet to Edmund French d.1776, and glass commemorating the Chamberlain family. Font, octagonal and dated 1666. Renewed C19 font cover, Hatchment in south aisle. (Buildings of England: 0xfordshire 1974, pp822-3; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol X, pp222-3)

Listing NGR: SP4911146334

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
403280
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 822-3
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1972), 222-3

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11083/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J. B. Moseley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].