CREWE HILL AND ATTACHED COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1228715
Date first listed:
28-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
CREWE HILL AND ATTACHED COTTAGE, CREWE HILL LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228715.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2021 at 19:00:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CREWE HILL AND ATTACHED COTTAGE, CREWE HILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Farndon
National Grid Reference:
SJ 42074 52708

Details

SJ 45 SW CREWE BY FARNDON C.P. CREWE HILL LANE

2/23 Crewe Hill and attached Cottage.

-

- II

House and Cottage, apparently circa 1805 but extended circa 1890, fenestration altered late C20 and containing a number of brought-in features of interest. Rendered with grey slate roofs. Mildly Gothick externally. 2 storeys and 3 windows. The main block is symmetrical with flush central gable and projecting wing gables linked by a verandah. Gothick double doors with cross-casement over. Late C20 square bay windows to lower storey of wings, with balconies above in front of oak French windows to bedrooms. An attached cottage forms a recessed lower wing right. Interior Central full-height hall has richly carved doors of oak left, right and to rear, perhaps late C16/C17, brought in open-string stair right, with winders, and stick balusters, leading to gallery with barleysugar balusters supported on 2 richly carved posts over front of hall; Jacobethan oak ceiling. Dining room (to rear) added circa 1890. The antiquarian creation of the open hall constitutes the chief interest of the building.

Listing NGR: SJ4207452708

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
403380
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].