CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1228790
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228790.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2019 at 10:17:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dudley (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 89369 89303

Details



726/7/184 KINGSWINFORD 14-JUN-51 CHURCH OF ST MARY

GV II Parish Church. Entirely rebuilt 1830s-40s with the exception of the Decorated tower which is restored. Rubble stone brought to course and ashlar. The western tower has 2-light belfry openings with trefoil heads and a quatrefoil to the apex. The ashlar setback buttresses, battlemented parapet and porch to the south face appear to be C19 additions. The body of the church was rebuilt in the 1830s-40s due to subsidence caused by mining and re-opened in 1846. This new body is of coursed rubble with round-headed and pointed arches to the windows. The reset Norman tympanum shows a winged St. George stabbing an elaborately coiled dragon.

The church of St Mary froms a group with the churchyard cross and nos. 8-11 [consec.] The Village.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
403487
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01337/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Colin Cundy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].