CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1228920
Date first listed:
04-Aug-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, TOWN GATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228920.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:36:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, TOWN GATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Holme Valley
National Grid Reference:
SE 13945 09632

Details

SE 1309 TOWN GATE 11/350 (Netherthong)

16.1.67 Church of All Saints GV II

Gothic revival Church. 1830 by R D Chantrell. Builders: George and William Heywood. Deeply coursed dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Moulded plinth. Parapet with roll top copings. Pitched slate roof. West elevation: central, deeply recessed, main doorway with crenellated frieze over. Above this is traceried 3-light stained glass window, with hood mould which rises to motif of leaves. To each side is 5-sided buttress. To gable apex is tall open bell cote with flying buttresses, gargoyles and cross finial. Bell and winding gear is intact. Nave of 6-bays with tall slender 2-light windows with traceried heads. Hood moulds have figure head stops. Chancel has 3-light stanined glass east window, with tracery. Hood mould rises to carved boss. Interior: chancel arch. Carved wooden rood screen with crocketted pinnacles. Carved pulpit and altar. Later balcony on 4 slender columns. Organ added 1979. Chancel added 1877.

Listing NGR: SE1394509632

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
340578
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/00322/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A W Shaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].