CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1229368
Date first listed:
01-Jun-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1229368.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:34:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Guilden Sutton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 44890 68181

Details

SJ 46 NW GUILDEN SUTTON C.P. CHURCH LANE (West Side)

5/10 Church of St John the Baptist.

1/6/1967

GV II

Church: 1815 (Pevsner and Hubbard), but nave has C16 work. English garden wall bond orange brick with lines of vertical timbers and wall plate visible in nave. Welsh slate roof. 5-bay nave and chancel in one range, south porch and octagonal louvred bellcote. Dentil brick cornice. Windows of nave and chancel are simple and have semi-circular brick heads. Gabled porch has a pair of half-glazed doors. East window, lancet shaped with 2 wooden mullions. Interior: Very plain with raised chancel and wooden chancel screen. Partly exposed kingpost trusses with diagonal braces, all heavily cusped. Circular stone front dated 1635 and doorway with twisted balusters dated 1698. Painted memorial plaque to Whitehead family, probably by Randle Holme III.

The former chancel blew down in 1802 and it is reported that Sir J T Stanley of Alderley rebuilt the church by 1810 when he sold the living. Ormerod G, History of Cheshire, 1819.

Listing NGR: SJ4489068181

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
404196
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ormerod, G, History of Cheshire, (1819)
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/08841/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr John L. Wishlade. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].