STOODLEY PIKE MONUMENT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1229506
Date first listed:
02-Apr-1984
Statutory Address:
STOODLEY PIKE MONUMENT, LANGFIELD COMMON

Map

Ordnance survey map of STOODLEY PIKE MONUMENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1229506.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 13:07:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
STOODLEY PIKE MONUMENT, LANGFIELD COMMON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Todmorden
National Grid Reference:
SD 97306 24206

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/10/2016 and on 30/05/2017

SD 92 SE, SD 973242, 7/169

TODMORDEN (former M.B.), LANGFIELD COMMON, Stoodley Pike Monument

(Formerly listed as: Stoodley Pike)

2.4.82

II

Monument. Originally erected 1815 to commemorate the surrender of Paris to the Allies after the Napoleonic Wars. Rebuilt, after collapse, to a new design by John Green (Portsmouth, Todmorden) in 1856 by public subscription. Restored 1889. Pitch faced stone piers, ashlar cornice carries octagonal gallery with heavy balustrade, 40' from the ground. This supports hammer-dressed stone obelisk which reaches a height of 120'. Single entrance set between stone piers has segmental arch with joggled voussoirs the keystone engraved with Star of David. This leads into a spiral staircase leading to gallery. Over the entrance is engraved tablet which reads:

' A PEACE MONUMENT ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION COMMENCED IN 1814 TO COMMEMORATE THE SURRENDER OF PARIS TO THE ALLIES AND FINISHED AFTER THE BATTLE OF WATERLOO WHEN PEACE WAS ESTABLISHED IN 1815. BY A STRANGE COINCIDENCE THE PIKE FELL ON THE DAY THE RUSSIAN AMBASSADOR LEFT LONDON BEFORE THE DECLARATION OF WAR WITH RUSSIA IN 1854. WAS REBUILT WHEN PEACE WAS RESTORED IN 1856 RESTORED AND LIGHTNING CONDUCTOR FIXED 1889 '.

A prominent landmark.

Listing NGR: SD9730624206

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
403749
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/03958/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman Hurst. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].