CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1229537
Date first listed:
31-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1229537.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:34:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hunstanworth
National Grid Reference:
NY 94906 49021

Details

HUNSTANWORTH HUNSTANWORTH NY 94 NW 4/58 (inset) Church of St. James 31.1.67 GV II*

Parish church; 1862-3 rebuilding, by S.S. Teulon for Rev. Daniel Capper of Newbiggin, of 1781 church on medieval site. Snecked sandstone of varied colours and pale ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings; diaper-patterned roof of purple and green slates with roll-moulded ridge-tiles and stone gable copings. Nave with north aisle, north-west tower and stair turret and south porch; apsed chancel with north vestry. 6-bay nave has porch in first bay; buttressed fifth bay projects slightly; buttressed narrow sixth bay. Lower chancel with 5 windows.

Steeply-gabled porch has double boarded doors in double-chamfered 2-centred arch; side buttresses and curved kneelers under gable with stone cross finial. 3 small lancets in return walls of porch. Plate tracery in 4-light nave and 3-light aisle west windows; and in other windows, of 2 lights except for group of 3 in fifth and 2 in sixth nave bays, the fifth with central gabled canopy. Roundels in west bays of chancel. Tower has one high stage, with 3-light north window, and lancet slits in second stage, under string and 3 cusped belfry openings. Round stair turret with conical roof, on north-east corner. Pyramidal tower roof with peacock wind-vane; steeply-pitched nave roof with finials, and angelus cross; slightly lower chancel roof rounded over apse. Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings. Arch-braced collar-truss nave roof, with upper king posts, struts and 2 levels of purlins with wind braces. Closely-set scissor trusses in chancel. 3-bay north arcade, tower, chancel and sanctuary arches all 2-centred and chamfered; round piers. Chancel has north arcaded frieze; south arched recess for priest's chair. Stone pulpit and side steps under paired arches, in rudimentary transept. Round stone pedestal font on octagonal plinth continuous with west shaft of arcade. Glass mostly original clear and coloured geometrical; 2 windows commemorating Edward and John Joicey, died 1879 and 1881, by Kempe; chancel windows have geometrical patterns with pictorial panels. Gothic painted-and-carved chamber organ by Gray and Davison, Euston Road, London, said to have been shown in 1851. Exhibition at Crystal Palace. Other original fittings include doors with high- quality iron work, wood altar (now brought forward) and communion rail.

Carved alabaster panel on west wall in low relief 'We thank thee/LORD/for bringing back/our soldiers/safely home/1914-1918.

Listing NGR: NY9490649021

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
404175
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10963/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].