ASHBURNHAM PLACE (CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE AND PRAYER CENTRE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1229643
Date first listed:
13-May-1987
Statutory Address:
ASHBURNHAM PLACE (CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE AND PRAYER CENTRE), KITCHENHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ASHBURNHAM PLACE (CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE AND PRAYER CENTRE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1229643 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 07:10:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
ASHBURNHAM PLACE (CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE AND PRAYER CENTRE), KITCHENHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Rother (District Authority)
Parish:
Ashburnham
National Grid Reference:
TQ 69035 14579

Details

TQ 61 SE ASHBURNHAM KITCHENHAN ROAD

28/2 Ashburnham Place. (Christian Conference and Prayer Centre).

II

The facade dates from 1845 circa. Red brick and diaper pattern of grey headers. Cornice above each floor and parapet. Glazing bars intact. The central portion is now of two storeys and. five windows. Each window bay is flanked by pilasters. Ground floor windows are set in round-headed arcading. Large central square porch with round-headed archway. The wings are of one storey. The first two window-bays on each side of the centre are recessed with three window-bays each projecting beyond. Modern conference wings to north. The Ashburnham family occupied a house on this site from before the Conquest until the death of Lady Catherine Ashburnham in 1953. It was a large mansion of several periods, of which the main portion was C18, refaced in 1845 circa. Most of this was demolished about- 1955. What remains is the south front, which retains its original form of a central block and flanking wings of lower elevation but both centre and wings have been reduced in height.

Listing NGR: TQ6903514579

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
292070
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14431/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Keeble. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].