This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1229806



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wisbech

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48424

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WISBECH OLD MARKET TF 4609 (East Side) 6/217 Nos. 1 and 2 GV II*

Two late C18 houses; No. 1, symmetrical five 'bays', No. 2, slightly recessed three 'bays'. Local amber brick with inter- locking roof tiles; slate roofs to three rear wings. Three storeys. End stacks and ridge stack. Parapet with stone copings and moulded cornice. Stone cills to all windows. Eight first floor, and six ground floor, twelve-paned, recessed, hung sash windows, in cambered gauged brick arches. Eight similar attic windows of six panes. Two matching doorcases in round- headed gauged brick arches with cast-iron glazing bars to fanlight. Wooden doorcase has fluted half-columns and frieze band. Doors with six raised and fielded panels. Stone steps to each entrance. Interior has two good original chimneypieces; cornice and dado to rear first floor room; panelled doors and shutters to windows. Open-string staircase with raking mahogony hand rail and plain balusters. Lantern above staircase with conical light. NMR (C. Gregory, Wisbech photographic collection), 1982. Pevsner, Buildings in England, p.499. VCH Cambs, p.243. Photographs and prints, C18 and C19, W. & F. Mus. Craddock and Walker, History of Wisbech, 1847. Fielden and Mawson, Arch. Wisbech Consultants' Report, 1974.

Listing NGR: TF4605509809

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 499
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 243
Walker, N, Craddock, T , The History of Wisbech and the Fens, (1849)
Fielden and Mawson Architects Wisbech Consultants Report, (1974)

National Grid Reference: TF 46055 09809


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1229806 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 04:50:12.

End of official listing