WEARHEAD METHODIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1230042
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
WEARHEAD METHODIST CHAPEL, A689

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEARHEAD METHODIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1230042.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2020 at 16:41:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEARHEAD METHODIST CHAPEL, A689

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stanhope
National Grid Reference:
NY 86094 39258

Details

STANHOPE A689(North side) NY 83 NE Wearhead 18/125 Wearhead Methodist Chapel II

Primitive Methodist Chapel. 1826. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable coping. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Central renewed door under round arch with voussoirs on impost blocks; flanking round- headed windows and upper segmental-headed windows have arches with voussoirs; thin projecting stone sills; renewed glazing. Low-pitched roof has left end coping and chimney. Interior: boarded above boarded dado except for plastered ritual west wall. Panelled ceiling, diagonally boarded, with carved corner brackets in each panel, and ceiling roses around ventilators. Gallery around 3 sides, supported on tapered cast iron columns; ornate bracketed cast iron balustrade. Corbelled keyed east organ arch. Panelled central pulpit at east end flanked by panelled screen. Communion rail on cord-twist balusters with ivy-leaf brackets. Memorials include tablets to members of Humble and Peart families, transferred from Lanehead chapel (q.v.), to Harrison and Featherstone families, to members of the congregation who entered the Primitive Methodist Ministry between 1826 and 1926, and to those who died in the First World War.

Source: P.A.G. Clack and K.E. Pattinson, Weardale Chapels, Durham 1978.

Listing NGR: NY8609439258

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
404881
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/11031/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].