ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST GREGORY AND ST AUGUSTINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1230141
Date first listed:
21-Jan-1994
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST GREGORY AND ST AUGUSTINE, 322, WOODSTOCK ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1230141.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Jul-2020 at 13:16:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST GREGORY AND ST AUGUSTINE, 322, WOODSTOCK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 50218 09601

Details

OXFORD SP50NW WOODSTOCK ROAD 612-0/24/10031 (East side) No.322 Roman Catholic Church of St Gregory and St Augustine II Private R.C. chapel. 1910-11, by Ernest Newton for Apsley Paddox, an adjacent house. Rendered brick and Cumberland slate roof with gabled ends. PLAN: Nave with gallery at west end over a narthex entered on the south side. Later in the C20 a large extension, probably parish rooms, was built at the east end. EXTERIOR: East gable-end has 4-light ground floor window and large 6-light gallery window with segmental arch head with tile hoodmould and cill and with diamond shaped brick ventilator and small stone cross on gable. 4-light north and south side windows. All windows have leaded panes. On the west end of the south side porch with splayed ashlar sides corbelled at top and supporting the canopy roof simple boarded double doors with leaded lights. Wooden and lead-clad octagonal cupola on ridge near east end. Later C20 extension at east end. INTERIOR: Remarkably complete with fine simple joinery. Plaster tunnel-vault ceiling with moulded tie-beams and wall plate. Panelled and glazed screen under gallery at west end with tall wooden balustrade above. At east end a baldachino with panels of Spanish leather and carved wooden canopy. Wooden Communion rail and sedilia. SOURCES: Newton, w.g., The work of Ernest Newton [1925]. Gray, A.S., Edwardian Architecture, p.273. Buildings of England, p.332. Service, A., Edwardian Architecture, p.206.

Listing NGR: SP5021809601

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
405007
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gray, A S, Edwardian Architecture A Biographical Dictionary, (1985), 273
Newton, W, The Work of Ernest Newton RA, (1925)
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 332
Service, A, Edwardian Architecture a Handbook to Building Design in Britain 1890-1914, (1977), 206

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15831/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].