CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1230337
Date first listed:
01-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WHITCHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1230337.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:24:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WHITCHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Handley
National Grid Reference:
SJ 46630 57880

Details

SJ 45 NE HANDLEY C.P. WHITCHURCH ROAD (East Side)

5/72 Church of All Saints.

1/3/1967

GV II*

Church: tower dated 1512, roof dated 1661 but re-used in restoration of 1853-5 by James Harrison, chancel and vestry of 1891. Ashlar red sandstone, Welsh slate roof. 3-bay nave, l-bay chancel, 3-stage west tower, vestry and south porch. 2-centred arched entrance to porch and rectangular 3-light and pointed 2-light windows in Decorated style in nave. Chancel has a lancet and 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. Tower has diagonal buttresses and 4-centred head to west door under label mould with carved head stops. 3-light west window breaks bond with carved heads and has a crocketted ogee hood. A tablet to either side reads: "Hoc ca' panile f'x'm' e' a' d'ni MCCCCXII t'p'e R'c'i raulinso, rectoris ac prooibus b'n'facto ribus ejusdem orate." Above are 2 empty niches. Similar 3-light louvred bell openings and gargoyles support embattled parapet. Interior: Good hammerbeam roof to nave, carved brackets carry inscription RD 1661, JE 1661 and wind-braced purlins. Edges of all main members picked out in black and white. Narrow chamfered chancel arch on engaged octagonal columns. Similar but taller arch to tower. Octagonal font on restored octagonal shaft. The tower closely resembles that at St Alban's, Tattenhall (q.v.) and has the same mason's marks.

Listing NGR: SJ4663057880

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
405146
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/14673/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr R. A. Brierley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].