CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1230723
Date first listed:
09-Aug-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, LIVERPOOL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1230723.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:33:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, LIVERPOOL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Warrington (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Great Sankey
National Grid Reference:
SJ 56896 88461

Details

SJ 58 NE GREAT SANKEY C.P. LIVERPOOL ROAD (North Side)

3/8 Church of St Mary

9/8/1966 II

Church 1769, altered during C19. The chancel 1883 by W Owen; tower, belfry and spire built or rebuilt 1868-9. Stone-dressed brown brick on sandstone plinth; slate roof. Aisleless nave of 3 bays; west tower of brick with recessed corners and clock on each face carries octagonal louvred timber belfry under lead-roofed spire with gilt ball. Battlemented nave has windows of 3 lights with (probably mid C19) simple panel tracery. East window of 3 lights has full panel tracery. Small 2-light window to each side of chancel. Gabled south porch. Interior. 4 arch-braced trusses. Tudor chancel arch. Pews 1883. 4 memorial windows in nave; of 1886(E) and 1889(W), south; and 1906(E) and by Jones and Wallis(W), north. Monument to Rev.Edward Lloyd, died 1813; putto by an urn of white marble on a dark ground.

Listing NGR: SJ5689688461

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
405599
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06475/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Patrick Norris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].