HARROCK HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1231056
Date first listed:
19-Nov-1951
Statutory Address:
HARROCK HALL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1231056.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 22:31:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
HARROCK HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
West Lancashire (District Authority)
Parish:
Wrightington
National Grid Reference:
SD 50772 12440

Details

WRIGHTINGTON SD 5L SW 5/83 Harrock Hall 19-11-1951 GV II*

House. Early C17. Extended early and mid C19, probably replacing earlier work, and restored c1980. Sandstone ashlar with slate roof. A symmetrical composition of 2 storeys. Centre of house has rebated and ovolo-moulded mullioned windows with transoms, and 2 drip courses. In the centre is a 2-storey canted bay window which has cross windows on 3 sides and a single light on each return wall. To the left there is one bay with 5- light windows. To its left a 2-storey porch projects forwards. This has a 3-light window on the 1st floor and an outer doorway with round head and moulded imposts. The inner doorway has a Tudor arch. Projecting slightly at the left is an early C19 bay which has chamfered quoins, 2 drip courses, and tripartite sashed windows with Gothick glazing. To the right of the bay window the house exactly mirrors the left-hand half, but the tooling of the stonework suggests that it is a copy, possibly of the mid C19. Above a cornice is a parapet, with rounded battlements over the outer bays and over the central bay window. Interior: not accessible at time of survey (April 1987), but recorded by RCHM in 1977 before restoration. They noted plastered beams in the hall with quarter-round mouldings, and a C19 stair which had cusped cast-iron arches set into timber balusters.

Listing NGR: SD5077212440

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357859
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].