BARN 100 METRES SOUTH EAST OF BADLEY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1231085
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
BARN 100 METRES SOUTH EAST OF BADLEY HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN 100 METRES SOUTH EAST OF BADLEY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1231085 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 18:43:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARN 100 METRES SOUTH EAST OF BADLEY HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Badley
National Grid Reference:
TM 06086 55809

Details

BADLEY TM 05 NE

1/5 Barn 100m south-east of Badley Hall

9.12.55 II*

Barn, C15 or early C16. In two 4-bay sections, with a single-bay stable added to the west end in C17. Timber-framed and weatherboarded; the eastern 4 bays stand upon a tall and massive plinth of flint rubble with dressings mainly of red brick. Roof partly of corrugated iron and partly of asbestos sheeting; formerly thatched. 3 bays from each original end are narrow entrance bays having boarded barn doors on each side (some missing). A large, very well built and unusually complete barn. Very fine queenpost roof of the north-east Suffolk School; arch-braced cambered tie-beams, jowled queenposts with arch- bracing up to heavy square-set purlins and to cambered square collars. In C17 or early C18, intermediate arch-braced trusses were inserted in each main bay, reversed assembly being used; the workmanship is high, and superficially appears to be original. High quality close-studwork, with tension wind-bracing at the eastern-most bay, and arch-bracing at the west; despite this difference the two sections must be of similar dates. The flint walling has inclusions of brick rubble and one quoin of dressed limestone; some original plaster finished with random indentations still adheres to the flintwork, and probably covered flint and timber-framing alike until C18/C19 when much repair was done. The barn stands upon a scheduled site (Ancient Monument No.135), believed to be of a Chantry endowed by Edmund Alcock (d.1491) of Badley Hall. However, documentary evidence suggests that the Chantry was attached to nearby St. Mary's Church.

Listing NGR: TM0608655809

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
406121
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].