CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1231174
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, FARNHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1231174.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 05:05:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, FARNHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Snape
National Grid Reference:
TM 39503 59374

Details

TM 35 NE SNAPE FARNHAM ROAD (north side) 4/113 Church of St John the 7.12.66 Baptist

- II*

Parish church. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Mainly C15 with some earlier work in nave; considerably restored C19 and early C20. Random flint with stone dressings, knapped flint to porch and plinth of tower; pantiled roof with plaintiles to porch. C15 west tower: square, 4 stages, with string course at each stage; 3 stage diagonal buttresses, crenellated parapet with flushwork decoration and carved stonework above; gargoyles to base of parapet at centre of east and west faces; mutilated bell-chamber openings to each face; 3-light C15 west window, restored. South nave wall with one 2-light and 2 identical 3-light C15 windows, all partially restored; north nave wall with 3 windows with Y tracery, probably late C13/early C14, blocked north doorway. Good C15 south porch: front with quatrefoil flushwork to plinth and one tier of flushwork panels; arched doorway with carved shields to spandrels; above is an empty ogee-headed niche, a trail-traceried band and red brick gable with stone coping. Nave doorway with fleurons to jambs, arch and spandrels; within the spandrels are carved dragons; plank door with sanctuary knocker. North and south chancel with largely original one-light and 2-light C15 windows with cinquefoil-headed lights and square hoodmoulds; blocked Priest's doorway to south chancel; east end of chancel rebuilt 1920, 3-light east window with intersected tracery. Arch-braced roof to nave, plastered over; chancel re- roofed 1920. Fine octogonal font, circa 1500, well carved faces with carvings also to stem and underside of bowl, base with quatrefoil frieze and inscription around the top. North nave wall with arched entrance to roof loft and original stairs; simple piscina in south sanctuary wall; arched recess in north chancel wall, possibly once for an Easter Sepulchre; modern pulpit and benches, west gallery of 1845. In 1982 part of a C13 painted consecration cross was uncovered on the south nave wall. Graded II* for surviving medieval work.

Listing NGR: TM3950359374

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
406241
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/14234/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hubert Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].